Do you know that you can have a million termites in your yard and not know it? It's true. These are sneaky insects. For this reason, they're tricky to deal with. If you want to protect your Columbus property from being a food source for termites, you need to know how to detect these sneaky pests, and how termite pest control in Columbus works to guard against termite damage.
Signs Of Subterranean Termites On Your Columbus Property
Most of the time, you're not going to see subterranean termites but, once in a while, they reveal themselves. If you are aware of how this happens, you can catch a termite problem early and address it before these insects cause extensive damage.
- Workers. When you pick up a dead branch in your yard, you have an opportunity to detect termites. Quickly look on the bottoms of the branches you pick up. If you see tiny, pale-colored insects, you've found worker termites. It is easy to miss this subtle sign because worker termites don't stay exposed for long. They're going to retreat into the wood or the soil.
- Swarmers. When a termite colony matures, it begins to create winged reproductives. These winged termites (called swarmers) leave their nests to go forth and create new nests. The appearance of swarmers on your property is a sign of an infestation because swarmers don't travel far, and swarms don't last long.
- Wings. A termite swarm is going to come and go in less than thirty minutes. Fortunately, these reproductive termites shed their wings during the mating process. You might find them littered about in your yard, or you may notice them clinging to a spider web. You may not know this but spider webs are nature's sticky traps.
When you find signs of termites in your yard, contact a licensed pest professional for a professional inspection and guidance in selecting the right termite control for your property.
Crawl Space Subterranean Termite Infestations
When subterranean termites access wood that is above ground, they have to create shelter tubes. These tubes are made of soil and termite saliva. If your home has a crawl space, this is the first place you should look for these mud tubes. While you're in your crawl space, you should also look for signs of termite damage. Subterranean termites may cause visible damage in areas that are dark and humid, like a crawl space.
Subterranean Termite Treatment Guide
If you find signs of active termites on your property, you may be tempted to go looking for a DIY treatment solution. When you do, it is likely that you will quickly discover that termite bait stations and liquid termiticides are what professionals use to stop termites. Before you buy these products to correct a termite problem, consider these important facts.
- Not all termite bait systems are created equal. The most effective termite bait system, and the one most professionals trust to protect properties from damage, is the Sentricon® System with Always Active™. The manufacturer of this product certifies professionals to install their system for the best results possible.
- Not all liquid termiticides are created equal. Recent advancements in termiticide technologies have led to products that are undetectable to termites. Workers pass through treated areas and share the active ingredient with other termites. This leads to colony elimination. Termidor is the leader in creating these products.
- Even the most advanced termiticides can fall short if they're not installed properly. While modern termite treatments may have a transfer effect, and the active ingredient can move from termite to termite, there are surprising and unexpected ways they can fail to achieve this transfer effect. For best results, it is best to have a certified Termidor installer perform the installation of these products.
If you need a subterranean termite treatment in Columbus, reach out to 1st Response Pest Management for assistance. Our certified professionals have the education and experience to make sure your property has the protection it needs, and that all manufacturer's guidelines are followed.
Complete Termite Pest Management From 1st Response Pest Management
At 1st Response Pest Management, we provide professional termite inspections, professional installation and maintenance of the Sentricon® System with Always Active™, and Termidor treatments when termiticide is the best option. We can guide you toward the right termite control solutions to meet your specific needs and budget. Don't wait until termites have damaged your Columbus property. Reach out to us today to get ahead of termite problems and guard against termite damage.