There are few things as troubling in life as finding a mouse inside your home. These furry invaders regularly break into living areas here in Columbus and are stumping homeowners as to how they are getting indoors. If you have recently found a mouse inside your home, or if you have trouble with these pests every year, we are here today to help. Here is why mice invade properties and how they get indoors.
The Reason Mice Invade Area Homes
When mice are given the choice between living outdoors and living inside a home, nine times out of ten, they decide to live indoors. Our homes provide these pests with the unique opportunity to stay fed, hydrated, and protected with very minimal work. Your pantries are filled with tasty treats, your bathtub and sink are regularly damp with moisture droplets, and your storage areas are just cluttered enough for mice to have plenty of places to hide and build nests. In short, it doesn’t take much for your home to be a paradise to these furry pests.
Some Ways Mice Get Indoors
Mice find their way into homes in a variety of ways. Most often these small rodents get indoors by crawling through gaps, cracks, and other damaged areas. To make sure your home’s exterior isn’t allowing mice a way in, here are some exclusion tips to try today.
- Use some steel wool and a caulking gun to fill in holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Repair damage to your home’s window/door screens and keep unscreened windows and doors closed when they are not in use.
- Install door sweeps under all exterior doors that lead out of your home.
- Install metal screens over vents on the exterior of your home.
Are Mice Dangerous?
Mice are among the more dangerous pests in our area. How dangerous are mice? Well, for one, they spread harmful bacteria, pathogens, and parasitic worms that get people and animals sick. If this wasn’t enough, mice also carry small blood-feeding pests like ticks and fleas into homes. These parasitic bugs can spread diseases and are a huge threat to both people and animals.
Strategies To Deter Mice
Sealing off your home’s exterior is a great start to prevent mice but it isn’t the only way to deter these pests. Here are six other strategies that will decrease your chances of finding these furry pests inside your living areas.
- Clean up food messes and drink spills as they occur around your home.
- Wipe down countertops and vacuum, sweep, and mop floors daily.
- Repair damage to faucets and piping.
- Clean your dishes and wipe down your sink before going to bed each day.
- Store leftover food inside airtight containers.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Do not feed your pets outdoors and clean out their bowls after every meal
How To Get Rid Of Mice
If you are looking for how to catch mice and remove them from your home, we would recommend utilizing professional help. Handling mice is dangerous and can lead to sickness. For this reason, the experts at 1st Response Pest Management are offering customers affordable, quick, and reliable rodent control services. If you suspect pest mice are causing trouble inside your living areas, let us help you today. We will work fast to ensure that your infestation is addressed so that no baby mice are made to make it worse.
Call us now to learn more about our mouse control and schedule a time to have your Columbus home treated for these dangerous pests.