Roof Rats In Columbus: How To Keep Them Away
November 15, 2021
The capital, Columbus, Ohio, claims to be a city that is "bold on ideas and fueled by relentless optimism…they dream big!" Columbus offers residents and visitors thrilling opportunities as they explore the area. Roof rats enjoy thrilling opportunities, especially ones that involve a high-wire act that will blow you away!
How To Distinguish Roof Rats From Other Rodents
Roof rats are rodents that have distinct differences from others in the Columbus area. Even though roof rats share ancestry with the Norway rat, they are smaller, faster, and great climbers which makes preventing them from accessing your building is difficult. Roof rats also have different eating habits than others, in that, they prefer fruits, nuts, berries, slugs, and snails. They also love avocados and citrus. The roof rat goes by many different names, such as Alexandrine rat, black rat, ship rat, and fruit rat. The term "roof rat" refers to the fact that they enjoy sheltering in the upper parts of buildings, while other species typically dwell on the first floor and in basements.
Physical characteristics of roof rats include:
- Soft, smooth fur that is usually brown with areas of black
- Thin and long (6-8 inches) with big eyes and ears
- Pointed nose and a scaly tail that is longer than its head and body combined (7-10 inches)
- Underbellies that can be gray, black, or white
Spotting roof rats or evidence of their presence on your property is a signal that you need to take quick action.
What Everybody Ought To Know About Roof Rat Dangers
Even in today's society, the mention of bubonic plague still strikes fear into people's hearts. Roof rats are known to spread this deadly disease, and even though it is rare, there are still cases reported each year in the United States.
Other diseases carried by roof rats include:
- Rat-bite fever
- Infectious jaundice
- Food poisoning
Not only do roof rats carry disease, but they also destroy property. They've just got to chew! They will gnaw on just about everything your yard and building have to offer.
Items that roof rats will damage include:
- Electrical wires
- Lead pipes
- Stored food products
This chewing can lead to extensive damage and hazards in your home.
Who Else Wants To Keep Roof Rats Out Of Their Columbus Home?
Preventing roof rat infestations can be a problem. Easy access to food will draw them to a property, and the fact they can access your home from above makes them tricky to prevent. Property owners can take some measures to keep them away.
- Sealing cracks and holes larger than a quarter
- Installing chimney caps
- Screening any vents open to the outside
- Installing, fixing, or repairing window screens
- Trimming back trees and shrubs, especially any limbs that overhang the roof
- Removing vines on the sides of buildings
- Cleaning up any fruit that has fallen off fruit trees
- Using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids
- Storing food (including pet food/dry food) in sealed glass containers
- Eliminating sources of moisture inside and outside (pipes, faucets, drain spouts, etc.)
- Keeping buildings clean and tidy
Given the dangers associated with rats, prevention is a far better approach than trying to deal with infestations after they start.
The Secret To Effective Roof Rat Removal In Columbus Homes
There are do-it-yourself solutions available; however, many of them can be dangerous to both pets and humans. Roof rats are adaptable, which means one means of control might work for a little while but then become ineffective. Why leave it to chance? The pest professionals at 1st Response Pest Management have been chasing these critters down since 2006. We offer safe, effective, and convenient pest management. Trained to provide white-glove service, our technicians will get rid of your infestation in an eco-friendly manner. Call us today for solutions to your pest problems.